Funny story. This one time, in Hawaii, I was on my honeymoon with my lovely wife. We were at La Perousse Bay in the southern part of Maui. In that region, the coast is lined by staggering volcanic lava rock, formed by, well, volcanic lava. Or magma. I don't remember when the name changes. Anyway, it looks like this:
I thought this would be the ideal setting for some photos of our rings. I try to be artistic sometimes. Not that I possess the necessary skills to pull it off, but I try nonetheless. So I gingerly placed our rings on a small lava rock above a patch of sand. Well away from any incoming waves. Safe.
So I'm clicking away, our rings the only thing I see in the world through the confines of the camera lens. Suddenly, as I attempt to focus in on the rings, I see only two, where three had previously been. The following took place:
Me: Did you take your wedding band?
Wife: What?!
Me: Did you take your wedding band?
Wife: No, I didn't take my wedding band.
Me: Okay, well, it's not here.
Wife: Are you serious? Are you really serious? Are you joking?
Me: It's okay, we'll find it. It has to be right here.
I looked into the sand just below the rock, where the ring had to have fallen. No ring. For the first time, I am legitimately about to flip out. Now I know how she felt. Upon closer inspection, I notice a grain of sand that looks oddly luminescent. I run my fingers through the sand and unearth my wife's wedding band.
Me (calmly, as if I knew all along): It's right here.
I blew the sand off of it and gave it to my bride. She promptly put it back on her finger where it belonged.
Me: Well, I wasn't really done.
Wife: No, you're done.
And thus ended the most tumultuous 19 seconds of our young marriage. It was truly amazing how a fall from about two feet literally buried that ring. Must be that soft sand in paradise.



6 comments:
Ya, that was a fun 19 seconds. It should be noted that I did take my rings off and let you take a few more shots...only that time around I actually kept my eyes glued to them. I'm glad I did because the pictures did turn out nice :)
Best line, "No, you're done." I read this story on Heather's FB. It's still funny.
Maybe get them fused together? That way...well...that way you could have freaked out about both bands being temporarily lost. So, nevermind.
"no, you're done!" Just makes me crack up.
Holly's geometry teacher got married a couple of weeks ago, and when he finally got back from his honeymoon the kids asked him why he didn't have a wedding band. He lost it snorkeling on his honeymoon! (I'm assuming in Hawaii, but not really sure where they went!) I immediately thought about your 19 seconds of panic. I'm guessing that they probably tried to find it for a REALLY long time. So thank God THAT didn't happen to you!
No wonder people go to the beach using metal detectors. I agree, I love the line "No, you're done." as well. If I still saw you at Seaworld I would probably quote your wife everytime I saw you(after I looked up in the air, brainlessly, with the DURR look on my face of course.)..... But I would say it different each time. "NO! YOU'RE DONE!!!!" "Noooooooo, yooooouuuu'rrrrre doooooone." ha ha ha.
When was in high school, I used to prank my friends by burying their keys in the sand when we were at the beach. The last time I pulled this prank, it almost went too far because I lost track of where I'd buried them.
It took about 20 minutes to find the keys and 40 minutes to apologize. I haven't played that prank since.
Post a Comment