We have experienced a lot in this month. A wedding. A honeymoon. Moving two lives' worth of stuff into a
I already wrote about the wedding. So here are some updates...
Our corner suite at the Sheraton LAX was pretty suite. I mean sweet. Man, I'm funny. I'm also pretty romantic. You see, I went into the room before Heather to set up the video camera to...not THAT, you sicko! To capture the image of me carrying my new bride across the threshold. I can't believe you thought I would, well, nevermind.
The next morning, we flew to paradise, AKA Hawaii. In Oahu, we cage swam with sharks. A few sandbars and a 9-foot Galapagos who ran into the cage once. That was a great experience. In Maui, we snorkeled, relaxed, and ate. Mama's Fish House is the best, and most expensive meal we've ever eaten. (Thanks, money dancers!) There are a few things I learned in Hawaii:
1. People drive way slower, and therefore you get pulled out in front of a lot, because you're only supposed to be going 8 MPH.
2. Hawaii loves itself some Obama. He is from there, after all. Right? Maybe? Theoretically. But for real, all kinds of Obama dashboard dolls and the like.
3. If a random stranger at the Iao State Park asks if you wanna go smoke some good hash, decline his offer. After you decline, he will still just bound off into the bushes by himself. Seriously.
4. Given that it is a honeymoon destination, most people assume you're on a honeymoon. But one guy looked at Heather and I and declared, "You two just got it goin' on." So, apparently, we got something going somewhere. I hope we still do in 50 years.
5. If you are bringing a rental car back before the place opens, confirm this first. Otherwise you just might end up thinking you're stranded before a guy luckily shows up to work early and you have to tell him that he IS taking you to the airport right now. Just a suggestion.
6. I have an amazing wife. I am a very blessed man. This trip was the best of my life. 24/7 with my best friend. Enough said.
Our apartment is coming together...slowly. It has been a process, but it finally looks like two people actually live in it, and they aren't OCD hoarders with stuff covering every inch of the floor. We have grownup bedroom furniture, complete with matress. It's really kinda fun. Last night, we were totally that 85 year-old couple who sat in bed reading...me with my Backpacker magazine and her with her "insert name of newest fad teenie bopper novel series" here. Good times.
And now for the pig flu. You see, the kid she nannies for got it. Neat. Then Heather wasn't feeling well. Then I had a crazy day of sneezing and nose running like a faucet. Picturing it yet? But we're better now. Don't know what we had, but apparently swine flu has lost a lot of it's potency, so it could have been.
A month has flown by, and I look forward to what the next one holds. There will be more settling in, more difficult "goodbye I have to go to work"s, more welcome home kisses, more hugs for no reason, and much more love.
Thank you, Heather, for the first month as my wife. I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have. If you haven't, well, you promised to love me anyways.
3 comments:
I'm glad you're having so much fun being married. It helps when you marry your best friend. 31 years later (almost) I still hate it when dad gets a call out and leaves me in the middle of the night and he is still the person I WANT to spend all of my time with. I'm really glad you found that too.
Love you both.
Ahhhh. So cute. I'm glad you were 85 year olds last night. And I'm glad you didn't die of swine flu yet.
I'm glad you two had a great month. Oh man! that child would get the swine flu! Scary!
Post a Comment