Poor "Bacon Cake" never really stood a chance.
Intrigued?
It all started about a week ago, when the following took place at work:
Me: Bacon makes everything better. I mean, if you want to improve a piece of bacon, wrap it in another piece of bacon.
My Supervisor: Maybe not cake. I don't think bacon would make cake better.
At that precise moment, the wheels started turning. For the past week, we have had office-wide discussions on whether or not real bacon bits stirred into cake batter would be good. And what cake flavor would best compliment the little nuggets of porky heaven? Most people said chocolate. I am not a fan of most chocolate cake, so my vote was for Fun-fetti. The bacon bits would blend in with the Fetti, was my rationale. Yet, so compelling was the argument for chocolate, that I decided to add bacon to one of the only chocolate cakes I will eat. It involves chocolate cake, caramel, Cool Whip, and crushed Butterfingers. This version, of course, had bacon bits baked right in.
Today, we had a little party at the bay for our Leadership Team, and bacon cake was in attendance. To those (like me) who went into the culinary experience with an open mind, bacon cake was not bad. I couldn't even really taste the bacon until I noticed the texture difference and thought, "Hey, that's bacon."
My poor porky friend stood no chance against those who had already made up their minds about him. Yes, bacon cake is a male, because quite frankly, I don't know many females who would concoct something like it. In the end, the reviews spanned the spectrum of opinions, from "good" to "not bad" to "I don't like it" and "gross."
So, to my three-and-a-half readers, I pose this: does bacon cake sound good to you? If so, what flavor cake? What flavor frosting? I'm not ready to give up on this yet. Bacon makes everything better, and I don't think cake is an exception.
Let the recipe-writing begin...
9 comments:
Bacon and PANCAKES sounds great...so maybe a maple flavored cake would work.
Aaron is intrigued and says it should be tried again with pineapple involved.
Well, we already know from experience that cornbread is best...but that's not cake so I guess it doesn't count. I'm going to go with yellow cake, probably just because it looks like cornbread, so in my head, it should work.
And yes, I'm still up after midnight even though I'm EXHAUSTED. I get too tired and sleepy to get ready for bed so I procrastinate like this. I was being productive up til now though. Now, I'm going to bed. In case you're wondering.
I'm with Aaron on this one. Pineapple upside down cake with bacon.
mom
I'm very sorry to report that this experiment has been done before...
http://www.chow.com/media/5389
I am not opposed to bacon mixed with something sweet, I vote for yellow cake or even the upside down pineapple cake. At the fair they had chocolate covered bacon, although this didn't sound gross to me(because I like salty sweet mixtures)I didn't try it. I think beef and cake would be a more shocking mixture. Try that....Shredded beef strawberry cupcakes....ha ha!
Perhaps carrot cake. I'm not a big fan of the nuts. Maybe you could replace the nuts with bacon bits.
Troy
I was just watching the food network and they have a show called "The best thing I ever ate: With..." and the theme was bacon. I swear there was a bacon cake in there. I think it also involved some nuts and maple. I will have to find out more. There was definitely bacon ice cream though.
-Josh
I'd be sooo down to eat a bacon fun-fetti cake! We will make this happen sometime. Guess what I'm bringing to Thanksgiving this year...
-Kyle
If you have a bacon wedding cake, will you please let me know BEFORE your uncle takes a bite? 'Cuz if he accidently eats bacon wedding cake, I'm sending him on your honeymoon with you. Trust me, you do NOT want this to happen. Not pretty when he eats bacon! But did you know that bacon bits are actually "not an animal product"? Yup, basically they're tofu or something! So I guess you can bake those into your cake, although that would be kinda gross! Just serve it with scrambled eggs and toast and you're good to go!
Post a Comment