Thursday, August 20, 2009

One More Month

One month from today, I will have a wife! It's still pretty surreal. It's always kind of been like, "Oh, we still have (insert amount of time here)." But now, it's like, "Hey, we only have one month." This summer has been somewhat of a whirlwind, and it has gone by very fast. Pretty soon, it will be September 20th. I will wake up alone, and go to sleep next to my bride. (Whoa, I seriously got a little chill when I wrote that, no joke)

Television often portrays marriage as this horrible thing and that the husband is a moron for getting married and that he is giving up all these great things and confining himself to a wife of nagging, fighting, and sexless nights. The focus on television is often, "Hey Bill, this is your last chance to be with other woman. This is your last chance to act single. This is your last chance..."

Give me a break. What about the firsts?

The first time we kiss as husband and wife.
The first time we fall asleep in each others' arms.
The first time we go on vacation just the two of us.
The first time I make her breakfast in bed.
The first time we celebrate an anniversary.
The first time we hold a child that we brought into this world.
The first time we watch our children go to school.
The first time we own a home (hopefully someday, right?)
The first time we kiss as really old farts and some young people look at us and think, "Wow, they've still got it. I wonder what their secret is?"

I know it's not all going to be fun and games. It won't be all kisses and breakfast in bed. There will be the first time we deal with seemingly unbearable pain and struggle. But I know we will get through it, because our marriage has the foundation. Not a foundation, but THE foundation. I have found a bride who loves the Lord more than she loves me. That's right, I'm second. And I wouldn't have it any other way. And she knows that she is second. She's cool with that, too.

Heather, in one month you will make me the happiest man in the world. I look forward to our life together. I hope I can be everything you need in a husband, and everything He calls me to be. I love you in every way a man can love a woman. Thank you for loving me.

One month. Just one more month.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If more men had the fundamentals figured out like you do there would be a lot more marriages that really work! I can't believe my baby is getting married in just 1 month, but I am sooooo happy for you. I love you.

mom

Heather said...

I am so excited for you guys and am ecstatic to hear your attitude about marriage! :o) You are right when you say it's not going to be easy, because it's not. But, I am in total agreeable with you when it comes to celebrating all the firsts instead of all the lasts. In our first year of marriage (we are only in our second now) I had so much fun celebrating all the firsts I could think of with my love!

Congratulations and may God bless your marriage immensely!

Sincerely,

Heather Head

heather said...

Thank you for writing that. I too am so excited for all of those firsts, and am so happy we get to have all of those firsts as a married couple :) I love you so very much and can't wait to be your wife!!!!!

Lori said...

I was thinking about this while I was brushing my teeth this morning. I was like, "Whoa. One month." Starting tomorrow you'll be counting the days instead of the weeks/months although, I'm sure that Heather, at least, has been counting the days for awhile. Anyway...have fun getting all the details ready.

Anonymous said...

Can we clone you? Have you give husband lessons? GREAT words Jon. May God bless you and Heather beyond your wildest dreams. Joanna (from Utah)

Anonymous said...

Jon, I had no idea you were such a great writer, I saw on your facebook status to check this out so I did.
I have been truly blessed watching you and Heather the past couple of months prepare for marriage. I am so so excited for you two. You two are truly an example of doing things God's way and being blessed for it.

Traci

Kris and Tim said...

Hey Jon, I would have to agree with Traci. Wow, you seriously are a great writer. I am so glad Heather shared this with me the other night at camp...well I guess it was more than just the other night...ha. Oh well. Thanks for all of the laughs and tears you have created by your wonderful stories. Tim and I couldn't be more excited for the two of you and with one month out that is just so fantastic. We can't wait to see what God has in store for you both and this new adventure...keep the blogs comin'! -kris

Dena said...

i so badly want to fly into town to just crash your wedding. i promise i won't eat much. beautiful post, absolutely beautiful. i'm so happy for the two of you.