They say that baseball is America's favorite past time. I beg to differ. I think it is actually watching other people, particularly those of the ridiculous variety. Case and point:
Today, while at a fast food establishment (hey, I hardly ever eat fast food, but sometimes you get the urge) and upon walking in, I see a woman at the counter disputing with three workers who have gathered around her. She is looking at her receipt and claiming she was overcharged. They are trying to explain that no, in fact, she was not.
I go up and order my food, giving the girl at the counter the This-Lady-Is-Obviously-Somewhat-Crazy smile as I ordered. I waited, and my food came. I left. She was still arguing.
Here was the best part:
The workers got a calculator out. One of the calculators with the huge buttons that looks like only old people should use it. They went through the receipt item by item and added it up. Then they added the tax. The following was exchanged:
Worker Boy: No, you were charged correctly. It comes out to $13.01.
Crazy Lady: (taking the calculator meant for seniors) Okay, now let me do the math my way.
(At this point, I immediately think to myself, "Um, Lady, there is only one way to do math." Then I picture a crowd of people way back when numbers began.
Crowd: Two plus two is four.
Lone Psycho: You all think it's four, but doing the math my way, it comes out to be three.
Right as I'm leaving the restaurant, I hear the lady say, "See, it only comes out to $12.20. (I don't remember the exact amount, but it was under a dollar less that $13.01!)
At this point, I almost walk back in, hand her a dollar, and say, "Here you go. These nice kids don't get paid nearly enough to deal with you and your newfangled way of doing math. Have a nice day."
Less than a dollar! I know, I know, it's the principle of the matter, but really? Sometimes you just have to pick your battles.
As I walked back to the car, I thought, "Man, I'm totally blogging about this when I get home."
3 comments:
Now you're thinking like a real blogger!
One of Holly's friends has a mom who argued that she was overcharged every single time we went anywhere together. It was so embarrassing! "No, I ordered a child sized milk shake with the happy meal, and you charged me an extra nickle. I need to see the manager!" I used to pretend that I wasn't there with her. Holly and I would be done with our food before she was done with her penny-pinching. I almost forgot about that. Glad that the girls aren't really friends anymore and I don't go anywhere with her these days. Thanks for bringing back bad memories!
Funny!
Post a Comment