"You'll turn into your Father someday."
This is what they always told me when I was a teenager. And I always reacted in horror. After all, he was the one who wore short that showed his knees, always made me follow the rules, and made me vacuum rocks (A story for another day). It's a funny thing about boys. They idolize their fathers and want to be just like them until they are old enough to think they have it all figured out. Then, their fathers are the worst possible thing they could ever turn into. Once they realize how little they actually know, they long, once again, to be like their fathers. At least that's how it was for me. If I can become anything close to the man my father is, I'm gonna be just fine.
I realize that, unfortunately, many people did not grow up with a good father, if they grew up with a father at all. I don't know anything about what that is like, and I praise God for it. My father is a stunning example of love, patience, Godliness, and responsibility. The man truly is amazing. He works hard everyday of his life to support his family. Sure, he does something he absolutely loves, but it is still hard work. In the process of supporting his family, he keeps people safe and saves lives. You see, he flies a helicopter for the Sheriff's department. How cool is that? He was awarded, twice, with an award that calls him a part of the best aircrew in the United States. It shows his hard work and dedication to what he does.


That's only part of the story, though. The rest occurred when he took off the flight suit and came home. Came home to his family, a certain member of which was not always perfect. Far from it in fact. And just like Mom, he enacted disciple in an attempt to make a certain someone a better person. I don't know where I would be without him. I may have just completely derailed, and I'm not just saying that because I'm trying to make him sound good.
It wasn't always discipline. There were the fun times as well. He valued family vacations, and I thank him for that. Some of my best memories are from National Parks. Sleeping in a tent. Watching wildlife. Hiking. He instilled in me a love of nature and the outdoors that I carry with me to this day. We have been on countless backpacking trips together, mostly into the Sierras. His example of valuing time together is one I will follow with my own family. I see kids today that hate nature, or anything outside for that matter, and it breaks my heart. Because of my father, I do not have that problem. Not too long ago, I was thinking about how, with my marriage coming up soon, my camping trips with Dad are most likely a thing of the past. I was really sad when I realized that. I'm looking forward to taking his role with my own family, but a part of me will always miss camping with Dad.

I really could go on forever about my Dad. But really, the only thing I can say is that I see a lot of him in me these days. I do a lot of things as he does, and long to be more like him as I am about to start my own family (three months from yesterday). I can think of no one else I would rather be. Thank you, Dad for being the rock you were, even if, for far too long, I tried to stand alone in the sand. Thank you for always taking my hand when the waves came to wash me away.
Father's Day should not be celebrated without including the greatest Father of all. Sure, my earthly father is a rock, but the Heavenly Father is infinitely more so. My father's love is unconditional, but the Heavenly Father's is infinitely more so. My father sacrificed a lot for me, but the Heavenly Father sacrificed infinitely more so. I don't know what your earthly father was/is like. This may be a painful day for you. Your earthly father may have let you down. Your Heavenly Father never will. Seek Him for the Father you need.
3 comments:
I don't think your camping trips with your dad have to be a thing of the past. Grandpa used to go with you and dad when you were a little boy. Maybe you could drag your dad along with you on some with your own kids.
So what do you think that just because you're getting married that suddenly I'm too old to go backpacking? My plan is to go whether you want me to or not! And seriously, when did you have to vacuum rocks? Everyone knows that I do, but I don't recall you having to do that.
It's always nice to hear that as your kids grow up, they can look back on their childhood with such good memories. Must have done something right. By the way, when you're on your honeymoon, don't forget to wash that rental car, don't want it to get too dirty.
Love,
Dad
I'm very lucky you've had such a great dad to learn from, and even luckier you appreciate it. You will be just like him :)
Post a Comment