Thursday, April 23, 2009

This One Time, at SeaWorld Camp...

Every story has a beginning. Every book has an opening chapter. Every journey has a first step. This is ours.

The summer of 2005 was coming to a close. I was about to complete another successful summer of SeaWorld day camp. Only one more week to go...of day camp. Or so I thought. We were short on counselors for the final week of resident camp. You can probably tell from the name that campers live at SeaWorld. Therefore, so do the counselors. They asked me if I would fill in. I so did not want to live at work. Nothing about the experience appealed to me. Nothing.

God had other plans, as He often does. And His plan was better than mine, as it always is. I have no idea why I agreed to do the resident camp. I think I actually saw the word "yes" flying through the air as it left my lips. I tried to grab it and take it back, but to no avail. There I was, stuck living at work for a week. Neat.

Neat it was, actually. As I fumbled through the week and used the excuse, "I didn't know, I'm new" way too often, I met my future wife. She was unlike any other woman I had ever known, and she still is. It was not love at first sight. Not that I despised her at first or anything, I just wasn't really looking for a relationship at the time. That changed as the week went on. When I met her for the first time (formally, at least) she was a very nice person. With each passing day, however, I became more and more attracted to her. Eventually I realized that this was someone I could see myself with.

The beauty of resident camp was that we had no opportunity to wear the masks that so often accompany new relationships. Picture this: you got five hours of sleep last night, it's 95 degrees outside, and you have fifteen screaming kids with you all the time. You can't hide your true self in situations like that. I got to see, first hand, what she is like when she is tired and frustrated. I also got to see, first hand, what she was like at 2 AM when there was no one still awake but us, and we got to spend valuable time with one another. The conversation came easily, and I was falling for her. Between the games of Guess Who, the pictures on the back of fake manatees, and listening to Lifehouse long after everyone else had gone to sleep, I knew. I knew I wanted to be with her. I know I did not want her to have to go back to school two hours away. Did I know, way back then, that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her? Maybe not, but it didn't take too long.

My sister once wrote a blog about colors. One of her past relationships was described as a bright, annoying orange. Her husband is described as a soothing periwinkle. It's funny, because I like to think of my fiancee as a bright orange. Why? Because of this:



Something was different with her. I describe it that my feelings for her just kind of snuck on me. I was not looking for what I found. As I got to know her, my feelings developed. That is how it should be. I knew this was the right sort of start. The best sort of beginning. A first chapter straight from the Father.

The week that almost wasn't ended up being one of the most important weeks of my life. I am so thankful that God intervened and "Yes" came out when I was so sure I wanted to say "No." I am thankful that she was, and is, what I've always dreamed my wife would be.

Heather, thank you. Thank you for being the woman I have always wanted, and always needed. Thank you for that week. No matter where we end up, it will always be on the best of my life. I hope we never forget how we felt as we began our journey. I love you, and look forward to spending the rest of my life with you, my best friend.

P.S. I think the real reason I was attracted to Heather was her amazing somersaulting skills. She might break up with me for posting this, but her it is. She made me laugh then, and she makes me laugh now. Listen closely, and you can hear me say, "This is so great." It occurs in between high-pitched giggles.


4 comments:

Heather said...

I love you too, best friend. Thanks for writing that - it's sweet, and a good beginning I sure think.

Lori said...

Hilarious.

Heather said...

P.S. I'm not sure which to be more upset about here...that lovely photo of me or the public documentation of my insanely awesome gymnastics abilities.

J.K. I'm not upset.

Dena said...

too cute, so happy for you and heather.