This year was great. Garrett was old enough to really enjoy all that Tahoe has to offer. Matthew got to experience it for the first time. We swam a lot. We ate a lot. We laughed a lot.
Of family:
Garrett celebrated his fourth birthday at Tahoe. I can't think of a better place. We had dirt cake with gummy worms. And gummy rats. Which, ironically, are not gummy at all. They might as well be dubbed "Concrete Rats." Matthew loved the lake...eventually. He was having some trouble being in a new place, but it all worked out in the end. We crammed six adults, two children, and two golden retrievers inside our tiny, little cabin. There is only one bathroom. And by bathroom, I mean glorified closet with a toilet. It was awesome. My dad and I spent the better part of a day on the Tahoe Rim Trail. Lots of trees, water, and some lingering snow. We all shared meals together and got to forget about work and bills and focus on family.
Of a Lake:
Tahoe is beauty, in its simplest definition. God's creation as only He can do. We spent many days at the lake. There was Emerald Bay and a rafting to Fanette Island. There was Sand Harbor and jumping off rocks. There was catching crawdads outside of Homewood. The water is cold, but something about Tahoe makes you tolerate it more. The cobalt-blue water is downright amazing. As far as lakes go, Tahoe is rivaled by none.
Of Falling out of a Raft:
We rafted the mighty Truckee River. And by raft, I mean float. And by mighty, I mean wimpy. But it is fun, and a trip to Tahoe is not complete without a five mile float. Near the end, there are what can be considered rapids. Probably Class Negative Two. Heather and were in a small inflatable raft. So were Lori, Troy, and Matthew. My parents and Garrett were in a rented commercial raft. I was perched on the back of our raft to steer. Heather was sitting on the front with her legs hanging over the front. That way, if we hit a rock, she would fall back into the raft. Partway down the rapids, we hit a rock. That spun us around backwards. Then we hit another rock. When the raft reached the exit point, my family all asked, "Where is Heather?" I replied, "She fell out." Yep. When we were backwards, the rock caused her to fall out of the raft and into the
Overall, a great trip. I wish I could bottle how I feel in Tahoe and drink it up all year. But then, I suppose, Tahoe would not be what it is.
Photo Album:
Even on vacation, I can't escape it.
Matthew loves himself some dirt.
Family Time
An Aunt and her Nephews
Candid in the Cave
Dad and I on the TRT/PCT
About to depart for Fanette Island
G-Man and his Crawdad
The beautiful East Shore
Eagle Falls above Emerald Bay
Above Emerald Bay
Jumping off a pier
The Parentals and Garrett
Heather on the Mighty Truckee (before she fell out)
Me Jumping
2 comments:
Yay! A Tahoe blog! If water is white & flowing too swiftly for me to stand up, it's a rapid!!! It is a funny memory though. Let's go back!
So. Garrett looked at that one shot and said, "That's me touching his nipple!" (Um. Neat.) And also, I need a CD of your pictures. When I come. The end.
Post a Comment